Wednesday, March 11, 2009

reframing the site

hi, I just got to thinking about what this site is all about. I think I will try to be more specific. I really do feel in this day and age there is a drought of art appreciation. Don't get me wrong. I'm not talking shipping kids of to Stratford, and to the galleries to look at classical works. Although I think its a good idea, along with art specific to their community. This is how culture changes,grows. through the interaction of it's members

So I demand Interaction! I want to get involved in what it this Art is and how it effects this soup called "culture" The young are at it! they are working. Of course I think of hip hop culture, which started in the black community, and now is a intercultural/economic force.


BUY ART NOT PRODUCT;
I can safely say If we spent one tenth of the money on buying black or culturally meaningful art we could and would employ more people in culturally empowering work. Art! yeah, loaded words i mean hair products, clothing designed by local folks, food prepared by local folks, lamps, books, pictures for your wall, music for your ears. Go to local galleries featuring black artist,Ask your museums to have exhibits. Go to the libraries and demand books written by artist such as Nalo Hopkinson, Dionne Brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment