Saturday, August 27, 2011

New Directions.

I was sitting in the funk, as My inspiration Cornel West says. my problem? Figuring what to do what to do how to make work that is exciting for me and at the same time does something other than occupy space as Art. Its not enough for me to be an artist a theatre maker although all good but these are not just jobs i like. and it is one of the most annoying things. have artist also fallen into the Marxist alienation trap, creating for the sake of creating. and not having any connection with the process or understanding of the commodification of it.
If i have a artist statement it would be ( and i thank you, Ms. Lacharite. I will explain in her new post after this one.) I want to visually occupy space with African images, which is difficult to find these days. images that are non commodified. in Canada There is anon presence of black artists and black images. So I continue with the my old way but I have narrowed down the scope of my work.
This turn is trying to paint tight extreme closeups of black gestures, arms, hands doing mundane things. close. trying to take away generalizations of race and bring it to close action of individuals who are racialized.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    I am an old friend of Dzian's. I have some photos of her and her daughter I wanted to send to her but don't have any current contact info. She would know me as Liz (from the midwest wimmin's fest and friend of Sara Woolery)
    Hoping you would let her know I am wanting to be in touch.
    e-mail: longwillow@longwillow.com
    thanks so much

    ReplyDelete