Wednesday, April 8, 2009

WHO'S KILLING THE DREAM?

Spike Lee gave a talk in Montreal at Concordia University in Feburary. At one point he told the crowd that they should follow their dreams,and beware of those that try to crush them, unfortunately, said Lee "parents kill more dreams than anybody," The dream he was talking about was being an Artist, a culture maker. Most of us can remember our parents telling us to stay in school and get an education, which meant, get a degree in business or sciences, something that guarentes, a good salary." Art! boy ya mus' be mad, you want to what?" but things are changing, i know that when i was a kid if I said I wanted to be a professional athlete my parents would have howled( not because of my two left feet,) but who made money as an athlete. these days parents consider sports a fantastic option. music too. but visual arts, theatre,, no ,no ,no! Believe me i know my son wanted to be a d.j. I tried everything, me! mister Arts, I can't believe i was telling him how hard his life would be,and to consider a more stable gig. Thank god his mother was wiser. she bought him turntables(yeah imagine the tension between us when that happened.) but now So parents if you want to make the community strong, support the Artist in your children.

think about it maybe the next black History month we can get a canadian artist to speak, instead of bringing someone up from the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment