Monday, April 13, 2009

Edwige Jean-Pierre, Theatre Practitioner

I really like the term thetre Practitioner, I first heard it from Djanet Sears, it signifies more than an actor, director or writer, but a person who practices the art and craft. an on going practice of the theatrical art.
one such practitioner is Edwige  Jean Pierre.

 Edwige ; I guess I got bitten by the acting bug at a very young age.  Same scenarios as many... I remember putting on shows for my parents and their friends. My mom took me to go see live theatre at the NAC and Le theatre de l'ile in Gatineau and I knew that that was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.  The writing happened when I was in theatre school.  We had playwrighting classes and found myself really enjoying the art of storytelling. I then found myself writing monologues and plays. Who would of thought? It never crossed my mind growing up.


2) I don't have a general theme per say when I write.  But I do tend to write about issues that people can relate to, regardless of their gender, race, religion, class ect. I like to write things that can perhaps make us think as people, as a society.  Does that make sense?


3)I've met so many wonderful artists.  I've had the honour and privilege of presenting a piece during the AfriCanadian Playwrights' Festival in August 2006.  I worked along side Djanet Sears, who I respect very much as writer, artist and woman.  ahdri zhina mandiela,, d'bi.young, Marcia Johnson, Joseph Jomo Pierre, Rebecca Fisseha, Diane Bridge, Djennie Laguerre, Lorena Gale to name a few.  Each have their own style and it's just refreshing.  Studying theatre out west, we never studied any Canadian plays written by African-Canadian playwrights - it's a shame because they don't know what they're missing.


No comments:

Post a Comment